Sunday, September 28, 2014

Her Last Escape: A look back at Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Jill Valentine is in da house.
"It was Raccoon City's last chance... And my last chance... My last escape... "
— A note authored by Jill Valentine on September 27, 1998

Today is September 28, 2014, the anniversary of when the events of my favorite video game first started. I couldn't let this day go by without blogging about Resident Evil 3. It's been 15 years since Resident Evil 3: Nemesis hit shelves everywhere. While I personally wasn't into Resident Evil, or gaming of any kind at the time(except for maybe Pokemon). I remember the commercials and promotional images released. I was a scaredy-cat back then and that kind of shit just freaked me out. 

It wasn't until I got to college that Resident Evil became a slight... well, ok, MAJOR obsession of mine. I became engrossed in the rich story and characters of the series. I played ALL the games within a few months and became one of those nerds who waited breathlessly for the next game. 


Jill's last escape.
Out of all the RE games, Nemesis was my favorite. I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't give a dick. I'm not going to blog about the ENTIRE series up to the point of where this game starts, because I could go on forever. And if you're reading this, you probably know about this game anyway. It's a very complex story line, and plus, you really should discover it for yourself if the genre of survival horror is something you're into. 

Now, first off let me say, this game is confusing, well, not so much the game as the timeline of the game(Yes, i know the game is kinda confusing too, but it's nothing you can't figure out, so hush yo face when you're talking to me!). Resident Evil 3 takes place on September 28, 1998, two months after the first Resident Evil game, and 24 hours before Resident Evil 2 begins. The game follows Jill Valentine as she tries to escape the zombie infested Raccoon City after the T-Virus outbreak caused by the evil pharmaceutical company Umbrella. The second half of the game takes place two days after Resident Evil 2. Zombies aren't the only thing Miss Valentine has to face. The most horrifying and persistent monster in the Resident Evil series(In my opinion.), the Nemesis is after Jill, and it won't stop until she's dead.


Oh fuck...
As I said before, this game is my all time favorite! It's not just because my favorite video game character(Jill) is the star of the show, it's also because  this game is truly scary. You're wondering around a city crawling with the walking dead and you never know when your BFF, Nemesis, is going to pop out trying to blow your head off with a rocket launcher! While Lickers don't join the party this time around, Hunters make a comeback toward the end and Brain Suckers are thrown in for added fun! Not to mention a worm-like creature called Gravedigger trying to eff you up in the sewers! YAY!!!


GAWD NEMEY! Get off my DIAAACK!!!
Jill has a new partner in this game by the name of Carlos Oliveira, but no one gives two shits about him and he pales in comparison to the epic Chris Redfield. At one point Jill literally has to bitch-slap Carlos to keep him on task, he just fucking blows donkey balls. I would have much rather Chris come back to rescue Jill and help her through the hellish city, but at the same time, I feel that would have taken away from Jill's story. This game shows how tough and badass Jill is. She didn't need a knight in shining armor to ride up on his white horse to save her. This is why I love Resident Evil. This game series is all about the ladies. It has created strong, powerful women who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty or get blood on their shoes. They get shit done and look good while doing it.


To me Resident Evil 3 is more than just a survival horror game. It also has deeper meaning. It's revealed at the beginning of the game, that Jill and other surviving S.T.A.R.S. members have tried to warn the the inhabitants of Raccoon City about the illegal Bio-weapon research that Umbrella was doing. Unfortunately, the all powerful and influencing Umbrella has the people of the city swayed. No one dared to oppose them and they listened blindly to what was told to them. While Chris, Barry and Rebecca(Jill's teammates), leave to investigate other Umbrella operations, Jill stays in Raccoon City to investigate further and join them later. I believe Jill also stayed to try and warn the citizens of Raccoon City one last time. They refused to listen.

In many ways, the citizens of Raccoon City were already zombies. They were easily manipulated by the media and whatever they were told. They refused to question authority, and unfortunately it lead to their doom. Jill being stuck in the city, in a way, is no different to her being in the city before the outbreak. She's still around mindless zombies and dangerous situations, they're just more literal. Now she's trapped and she has to get out of the damned city before it consumes her in it's horror. 

I know people trash this game these days, bitching about how bad the graphics are and how cheesy the dialog is, but this game was made in 1999 for God's sake! Give this game a little respect for what it was at the time of it's release! I wasn't even into gaming at the time, but I can still respect this game and many others for what they are and when they were made. 



5 zombies? Jill don't give a FUUUCK!
Really, this game has everything you need: zombies, humanoid-mutant creatures, deceptive Russians and a hot girl in a boob-tube kicking major ass. What the fuck are you complaining about? Sit down bitch! 


I mean... it's fine. You can eat Brad Vickers. No one cares.
As a bonus, Jill also teaches ladies how to properly wear a boob-tube. They are appropriate if it's 1998 and if you're Jill Valentine. No other time is a boob tube appropriate. EVER. That piece of fashion advice is absolutely 100% free with this gaming post! You're welcome. 

For more information on this game and Resident Evil in general, visit the links below.

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

Resident Evil Info

Official Site


You look good gurl. 





No comments:

Post a Comment