Monday, January 12, 2015

An Open Letter to Kelly Clarkson



Dear Kelly Clarkson,

I would really like to take a moment and holla at you. I know these days I tend to get wrapped up in my other divas, such as Lady Gaga, Lana Del Rey, Gwen Stefani, Ellie Goulding, Izzy Azalea, and so many others. There's so many female musicians out there for me to listen to and enjoy that I occasionally forget about you. When I say I forget about you, I don't mean you completely leave my mind, let me explain:

She was super cute, even then!
I remember first seeing you that summer of 2002 on the first season of American Idol. You sang Etta James' "At Last" and then I think you sang Madonna's "Express Yourself," but it's been hot minute... as in 12 years, so forgive me if I'm a little shaky on the details. What I do remember is how beautiful I thought you were (are). When you sang, it was powerful. You demanded everyone's attention and we gladly gave it to you.

A moment like that!
Like most kids my age at the time, I was obsessed with American Idol. I watched it every time it was one. It was a phenomenon in the early 2000's. I was "Team Kelly" from the get go. I also loved Tamyra Gray, her "A House is Not a Home" has me sweating a little bit for you. In the end, you were crowned the first American Idol. I was one of the 15 million people who called in to vote for you that night. When you won, I felt I had a little something to do with it.

Remember the low light/high light mix phase? Yeah, me too.
I remember not long after you won American Idol, you released your first album, Thankful. I LOVED this album. It was in my portable CD player for weeks and weeks. I remember thinking how versatile you were. You could belt out a heart-wrenching song one minute and then have a sassy, sexy attitude the next, all while remaining graceful and keeping that girl-next-door charm. Very few artists can do that.

Since U Been Gone.. I WRECKED ALL YO SHIT!!!
Your next album was absolutely amazing. You proved everyone who said you were a "flash in the pan" dead wrong! Breakaway was where you really proved you had stay power and you weren't going anywhere. It was a powerhouse album! This was the album where you didn't need the crutch of American Idol to be a superstar. You could stand on your own two feet! "Since U Been Gone," "Behind These Hazel Eyes," "Because of You," "Walk Away"... I mean, every song on this album was fantastic! I loved "Addicted." "Hear Me" and "You Found Me" too. You, along with Avril Lavigne and Gwen Stefani, were my life!

Whatever is happening here... I LOVE IT.
My December, your next album, was my absolute favorite. I think it's the best work you've ever done. This album was released during a dark time for me, and hearing these songs really helped. I felt like I wasn't alone in the pain I was feeling. Further more, I remember buying this album on my birthday when it went up for pre-sale on iTunes. This was a very dark album, and I loved it. There was lots of controversy around this album, with your producer wanting to scrap it, but I'm so glad it was released. "Never Again," "Don't Waste Your Time," "Judas," "Sober," "Irvine" and my favorite "Maybe" were huge standouts on this album for me. This will always be one of my favorite albums, and the face that you wrote or helped write most songs on the album makes it even more special. Your next two albums didn't effect me as much as My December, but I loved them! All I Ever Wanted and Stronger were fantastic! I loved both of them! I can't wait for Piece by Piece to be released!

Yummm!
I guess I'm writing you this open letter to say "Thank You." I know I get wrapped up in other crazier artists and bands, but I know you'll always be there waiting for me. If I'm having a down day I can listed to "Stronger." If I'm having a sassy day I can listed to "Walk Away" or "Since You've Been Gone." Hearing one of your songs is like getting a visit from an old friend. In many ways, I grew up with you. I feel like you've come such a long way as a woman and artist. You're a beautiful, talented and down-to-earth person. Those kinds of people are hard to come by. You might have won American Idol, but in return, the world won you. We discovered you and we love you. People say you were "lucky" for winning that competition, no, we were the lucky ones.


Your's always,

-Dustin

Kelly is happily married with...
... an adorable baby girl! Say hey to River Rose! HEEEEY!
PS: I know this was way TOO REAL and I'm sorry! Let's get lunch sometime, I promise I'm not this mopey and boring in real life, you can ask my other personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment