Thursday, January 15, 2015

Camp Takota (2014)



Directed by: Chris Riedell, Nick Riedell
Writing Credits: Mamrie Hart, Michael Goldfine, Lydia Genner
Staring: Grace Helbig, Mamrie Hart, Hannah Hart, Chris Riedell and Chester See


After Elise Miller's(Grace Helbig) personal and professional life crumbles, she becomes a camp counselor at her childhood summer camp where she reunites with old friends (Mamrie Hart and Hannah Hart) and tries to pick up the pieces of her life.

If you don't know, Mamrie Hart, Hannah Hart and Grace Helbig are extremely successful social media comedians. Mamrie, Hannah and Grace all run successful YouTube channels and often collaborate with each other. They've even gone on tour together doing sold-out comedy shows all over the globe. Even though they are all successful as a group and as solo acts, they're extremely close friends. Watching Camp Takota, you can tell this was definitely a labor of love for all involved. 

I love them so much. 
Now that we have the background out of the way, lets actually talk about the movie. I was trying to watch the movie objectively, as if I'm not a fan of Mamrie, Hannah or Grace. I couldn't! I think I'd still love the movie even if I didn't know who they were, but I just couldn't not put my fan-dom aside! I love them soooooooooooo fucking much! The question is though; Is this movie still appealing if you don't know these ladies from YouTube?. The answer is YES. The movie stands on both feet, even without it's social media presence. It's extremely goodhearted fun and debauchery. 

I wanna drink with them soooo badly.
Don't get me wrong, there is definitely some inside humor for their loyal YouTube audience. Mamrie's character's humor is very similar to her real life self. Hannah's character is a chef which is a holla at Hannah's popular YouTube show "My Drunk Kitchen". Grace's character is just a charming, hot-mess which is totally just her. There's even a scene where she's wearing gray sweatpants and a blazer. Total Grace move. That's not to say these ladies can't act. They definitely bring it!


I loved the acting in this film. Everyone pulled their own weight. YouTube singing sensation Chester See did an awesome job playing an asshole, douche-bag who cheats on Elise. Chris Riedell did a great job as the charming farmer. Don't get it twisted though, the stand-out performances are definitely the three leading ladies. Mamrie, Grace and Hannah are all fantastic. They're real life friendship shines through the script and we as an audience are okay with it.  The movie is just a good time! It's lighthearted and fun! I recommend everyone watch it if you're feeling down. It's definitely one of those movies I want to re-visit again on a rainy day.

For more information on Camp Takota, visit their IMDB page or Official Site.



No comments:

Post a Comment