Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Sh*t I Like: Beauty Gurus



Did I spell that right? Gurus? Gurues? Guru's? It's my blog, it doesn't matter 4, 8, 2 bye.

I've always been a little obsessed with makeup. I used to watch my mother get ready to go on her dates. I remember my mother had this BRIGHT ruby red lipstick, which must have been special, because she never used it. I loved looking at it. I thought it was beautiful! I remember she kept it in a black velvet pouch, and she always hid it from me. I think she was afraid I would ruin it. That lipstick is, what I think, started my obsession.

It's always been a private obsession. Throughout my childhood I never really shared it with anyone because of the stigma attached with it. I began watching YouTube to feed this obsession which is how I started watching these tutorials.

Anyway, as I said before, I watch a LOT of YouTube. In my spare time I watch YouTube videos. They're my jam. Ever since I got out of high school, a sensation has started among the YouTube folk: Makeup Tutorials. The people who do these makeup tutorials are called beauty gurus. well. some of them, some them are just wannabes.

These beauty gurus hold a tremendous amount of power. Cosmetic companies slowly began to realize that more and more people were turning to social media, mainly YouTube, to see how a product looks and works. Because of this, many gurus are often sent things, and unfortunately, some turn to the dark side and become "sponsored" by a company. Now, this isn't bad, it's just some of them are more deceitful than others. That's why I'm here! I can detect bullshit from across the county! I'm here to guide you on your magical YouTube Beauty Guru journey! Let's go!



Lauren Luke

Lauren Luke is the first beauty guru I started watching, she also one of the first to ever do makeup tutorials on YouTube. It pisses me off soooooooo much because she's never given the proper respect she deserves. Though she lacks professional grade talent, she has a passion and love for makeup. She also has raw talent like none other I've seen.

Luke started doing tutorials on YouTube after people saw her looks she posted online. She sold makeup on Ebay, and along with her eye shadow pallets she would post a picture of a look she did using the pallet. She started her channel in 2007 and became a hit. She began doing a lot of celebrity inspired tutorials, as well as creating her own looks.

I also want to just say, I believe Lauren is one of the main reasons so many companies started releasing eyeshadow primers and cream eyeshadows. When she first started making videos, primers were hard to find. Lauren would use MAC Shadesticks, which were difficult to use and hard to get. Around 2008-2009 cream eyeshadows and primers began to be more of a thing. I remember noticing this and having a slight giggle to myself.

She has a sweet demeanor and she always brightens my day when I watch her. Unfortunately, YouTube can be cruel. After professional makeup artist started creating channels on YouTube, Lauren began getting a lot of criticism over her raw technique. She's never let the haters bring her down to the point where she stops making videos. Her loyal fans have kept coming back and she will always hold a special place in my heart as being someone who sparked my interest in makeup.



Here are a few of my favorite videos of her's:






Subscribe to Lauren Luke's channel here. 


Kandee Johnson


Talk about LEGIT! Kandee Johnson has legit-ness is SPADES! Not to mention she's a constant source of love and positivity. She not only does makeup extremely pro, she also goes out of her way to provide love and support to her viewers. You can genuinely feel the love coming from the computer screen when you're watching her videos. Kandee was the second guru I ever followed, and also one of the only to ever give Lauren Luke respect, citing her as one of her inspirations.

Her videos are not only informative and positive, but also humorous and just incredibly cute. Seriously, you computer my explode from all the cuteness Kandee sends your way from watching her videos. You have been warned!

Here's a few of my favorite videos of Kandee's:






Subscribe to Kandee Johnson's channel here.


Pixiwoo


This channel consists of a sister team Samantha "Sam" Chapman and her younger sister Nicola "Nic" Chapman Haste. They're both professional makeup artists in the UK and have worked with several high profile clients. They've been doing YouTube videos for years and have been extremely successful.

Though they're sisters, they are completely different. Sam has more of an edgy style. She likes things to look a little worn in, but still polished. She has a knack for doing a makeup that looks both polished and grungy at the same time. Nic is a bit more on the glamorous side. Her looks mainly look like editorial Vogue/Cinderella-esque perfection. They rotate their duties every week so their audience gets a variety of looks. It's great and they never fail to impress me.

Luckily, they both did videos on their favorite videos! Check these out:



Subscribe to Pixiwoo's channel here.


Nikki Tutorials


Fun, vivacious and blonde, Nikki is a successful makeup artist in Holland, who does a lot of editorial work. Nikki is one of those gurus who is super passionate and excited about whatever look she's doing and doesn't mind going the extra mile.

She comes up with excellent combinations, never afraid to mix and match products, whether it be lipsticks, concealers, blush... whatever, she'll find a perfect combo for the look she's doing. She also gets inspiration by whatever is going on in the entertainment industry, doing several looks inspired by celebrities. She's also extremely funny and says the most random shit that will keep you on your toes.

Here are a few of my favs:




Subscribe to NikkiTutorials here.


Vintage Or Tacky



The lovely and always wonderfully weird Cora is the face and mastermind behind this channel. She's never afraid to tell it like it is, especially when it comes to products that she buys or that are sent to her. Very few gurus have the guts to tell the truth about a product, Cora literally doesn't care. She has 0 dicks to give. Don't even get her started on the Lorac Pro pallet!

Cora is absolutely fearless when it comes to her looks. She's very well-spoken and takes time to explain whatever she's doing in detail without making it seem like the video is dragging. This girl also isn't afraid to call out a bargain when she sees one. When a drugstore product is just as good as an expensive product, Cora will tell you. She's always uses a nice mix or high to low-end brands, never afraid to mix it up.

Here are a few of my favorites:



Subscribe to vintageortacky here.



Wayne Goss



Damn this guy is good! I couldn't imagine being without him on YouTube. He brings such an air of glamour and sophistication to the YouTube beauty community, showing you fantastic tips you never knew you needed to know. Almost every single video he uploads I'm like "How did I ever get by without knowing that!?". He's an absolute professional who invests his time and money into his beauty channel.

He shares his wealth of knowledge, especially when it comes to products! Goss has always been the bravest guru on YouTube. He's never been dishonest when it comes to his opinions on products, which is why I continue going back to him. He has never lead me astray, and I know I can trust him. If he says a product is worth buying, I buy it. DONE.

Here are a few of my favs:



Subscribe to gossmakeupartist here.



Lisa Eldridge



I can't even begin to describe the lovely creature that is Lisa Eldridge. She's an angel sent from the makeup gods to bless us on our beauty journey. Lisa Eldridge is a UK makeup artist with a long list of celebrity clientele. Lisa has done it all! Magazine shoots, red carpet, runway... you name it, Lisa has done it.

Lisa never shies away from recreating looks she's done on celebrities or models. She even has some of her famous clients come on her channel! She's a powerhouse! When Lisa recommends a product, you know it's damn good. She tests products out constantly, doing what she does. She knows how it will look, if it will fade, if it rubs off... etc.

She's such master of her craft, she even collects vintage makeup from the 1920's onward. She loves educating her viewers about makeup from the past and present, I love that she takes time to film videos for YouTube, even though she doesn't need to, she could get a well paying gig anywhere at anytime for any celebrity, magazine or designer. She's pretty much full of badass and you should probably stop reading this and go watch her now. You're welcome.

Here are a few of my favs:



Subscribe to Lisa here.



There you have it! I think I've given you a good jumping off point. Happy watching!

PS: If you have a YouTube account and you like any of the marvelous people I shared with you above, PLEASE subscribe to them! It really helps them out. Thanks! Love Ya! Bye!




No comments:

Post a Comment